< Back to all blogs
Tech Career Advice
September 2, 2022
Introduction: Tech Career Advice
There are many different paths to find a successful career in technology. While there is no one-size-fits-all answer to finding the right career for you, consider some of my tech career advice. So, whether you want to work for a tech company or develop your own technology ideas, these tips can help get you started.
First, we will discuss how you can get started with a tech career, how you can find a tech job, and how you can land it. Networking as a strategy will also be briefly discussed before I conclude with tech career advice for a happy, balanced life.
Getting Started With a Tech Career
When considering a career in technology, there are many different paths that one can take. Whether you’re interested in programming or design, there are countless opportunities available to you. Thus, there are a lot of ways to get started in a tech career. Some people start by taking online courses or checking out websites that offer tutorials on specific technologies. Others find jobs in the industry through job boards or company websites.
Do Your Research
First, let’s establish that there is no shame in being honest with yourself and looking at what you enjoy doing and what type of work matches those interests. If you are not interested in coding hours upon hours, then perhaps a software engineer career is not for you.
So, how should you begin your research? Start with the basics. Learn about the industry and what jobs are available. Next, look into the skills and credentials required for the positions and/or careers you’d like. Develop those skills. Finally, you should start networking and look for those important opportunities.
Finding a Tech Job
Some of the most important tech career advice I could give is about how to search for jobs in the tech industry. Consider the following tech career advice:
- Start by using job boards and online search engines.
- Attend job fairs and meet with potential employers in person.
- Network with other professionals in the tech industry.
- Use online resources to learn more about specific companies and positions.
- Create a resume and/or portfolio that highlights your skills and experiences in the tech industry.
The Important of Networking
Networking is important because it provides you with new opportunities and new insight into different careers. So, how can you build relationships with people in the tech industry? Personally, my advice is that you should join online communities and forums related to your field. This is a great way to stay up-to-date on changes in the industry and find friends in the field who share your interests.
Moreover, consider using social media to build relationships. Social media platforms like Twitter and LinkedIn can be used to connect with people in your field. Networking is important in this industry, so make sure to do a bit more research on how you can successfully connect with others in the field!
How to Land Your First Tech Job
There are lots of ways to get your first job in the tech industry, and the best way to find out is by looking online or contacting recruiters. Here is some career advice about how you can land your first tech job:
- Have a portfolio or website that showcases your work. Make sure your site is well-designed and easy to navigate. You can also include links to your LinkedIn profile, GitHub account, or other online resources where potential employers can see what you’ve done and how you’ve done it.
- Start networking with people in the tech industry. Attend meetups, conferences, and social events where you can meet people who work in the industry. Ask them for advice on finding a job and building a career in technology.
- Submit applications for open positions that match your skills and experience.
Of course, this is not a comprehensive list, but this tech career advice should help you get started as you try to land your first job in tech!
Tech Career Advice for A Successful Career
Once you have landed a job in tech, consider the following tech career advice on how to maintain high levels of work satisfaction.
My most important tech career advice: From the beginning of you career, make it a point to establish healthy boundaries. If you go into a new job and start putting in 12-14 hour days to look good, that will become their expectations of you for your normal job. Instead, try to have a healthy work/life balance by limiting your day to 8 hours at first. Of course, as you get bigger projects with tighter deadlines, this may change on occasion. But, once again, don’t make it the norm!
Possibly my second biggest piece of advice for those with tech careers is to make sure you give yourself time to recharge. Give yourself some rest or other things to focus on besides code. Find other hobbies outside of work to unwind from your job’s stress.
I find that when all I do is focus on something, I become stuck on it for a long period of time. However, if I give myself space, I tend to randomly come up with better solutions as my brain gets time to process everything.
In tech, only you are in charge of your career. So, no one is going to prioritize you but you. My tech career advice? Be committed to your growth. How can you do this?
- Always be open to learning new things—tech careers are constantly evolving, so it’s important to keep up with the latest trends.
- You are in charge of your learning, so make sure you have a schedule in place as well as small goals in mind.
- Always push to keep your own development. Therefore, if you can’t continue to learn in your role, you should question if that job is good for you in the long run.
- Be flexible. Jobs will come and go, so be prepared to keep learning and evolving in your career.
- Work on your communication skills! It always comes in handy when you need to negotiate a deadline with project management or a client. Moreover, when you feel overwhelmed, you can receive help as long as you communicate! Learning from others is a great way to advance your skills.
Look After Yourself
If you’re looking up tech career advice, it is likely you are experiencing some difficulties with your career or you are interested in a tech career change. Regardless of your specific case, keep this in mind: you always have to look out for yourself in tech careers. Consider the following tips.
Glassdoor your salary and what you should be making in that role. Use that as a negotiator for your salary when accepting offers and promotions.
Most employment is at will. This means you should always look out for your best interest. After all, one likes to be blindsided.
Take your PTO, especially if you work for a large company. The work will always be there when you get back. Moreover, taking care of yourself by resting and having healthy boundaries with boost your job satisfaction.
Use Your Skills
My last piece of tech career advice is to use your skills wisely. In other words, your skills you gain from work can be used to freelance on the side or in your spare time to make some extra money!
Conclusion: Tech Career Advice
In conclusion, it is important to consider what you want from a tech career and find a path that aligns with your goals. You also need to be proactive in seeking out tech career advice and networking with people in the industry. Keep your skills up to date and be willing to switch industries if the right opportunity arises. Finally, make sure you have a healthy work/life balance by establishing boundaries and resting when you need to.